36 Fun and Interesting Facts About Facebook
When most people think of social media, Facebook is the first thing to pop into their heads. Although there are other social networks out there—Twitter, Pinterest, Flickr, etc.—Facebook still reigns as king.
Facebook has its fair share of history, and the following are 36 fun and interesting facts about the world’s most popular social network.
2. Eduardo Saverin, co-founder of Facebook, renounced his US citizenship.
3. Mark Zuckerberg started negotiating the company’s acquisition of Instagram on his own. He did not consult his board members.
4. The Facebook “like” button was almost called the “awesome” button.
5. Zuckerberg was initially against adding photo sharing to Facebook. Sean Parker convinced him to do so.
6. In April 2012, Facebook received 9% of all website traffic.
7. Facebook receives more than 1.6 billion visits every week.
8. An average person will spend about 20 minutes on Facebook per visit.
9. About 56% of all Facebook users are female.
10. More than 250 million photos are uploaded to Facebook every day.
11. About 80% of all friend requests on Facebook are accepted.
12. On March 9, 2010, Facebook became the #1 ranked website in the United States.
13. The initial homepage of Facebook (then called TheFacebook), there was an image of a man’s face masked behind a cloud. It was recently announced that the man used in the image was a young Al Pacino.
14. The average Facebook user has about 130 friends.
15. Most of Facebook’s traffic is hailed from California.
16. In 2011, 1 out of 13 people were actively using Facebook.
17. 48% of people will check Facebook as soon as they wake up in the morning.
18. 28% will check Facebook from a mobile device before even getting out of bed.
19. 70% of Facebook users live outside the United States.
20. 48% of people say that they receive their news from Facebook.
21. 1.4 million Facebook event invitations are sent every 20 minutes.
22. 1.9 million friend requests are accepted every 20 minutes.
23. 10.2 million comments are generated on Facebook every 20 minutes.
24. 43 million Facebook users has their relationship status listed as single.
25. 60% of Facebook users have admitted to checking out an ex’s profile.
26. More than 30 million Facebook users update their status at least once every day.
27. Facebook Addiction Disorder is a real illness.
28. Facebook is banned in Syria.
29. More than 2.5 million websites are integrated with Facebook.
30. People who access Facebook on their mobile devices are twice as active on the social network than users who access through a computer.
31. There are over 16 million fan pages.
32. Facebook can be accessed in 70 different languages.
33. 8.3 billion hours are spent on Facebook every month.
34. Australia allows court documents to be served through Facebook.
35. Women over the age of 55 make up the fastest growing user base.
36. Over 2 billion items are “liked” every day.
Caroline Jones is a social media manager writing on behalf of SEOMap. Check out their latest SEO book on keyword strategy.Google+